Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mothers Day


Tomorrow is Mothers Day, with a capital "M" and "D".
So much of how I parent I get from how my mom parented me. I talk things through with my daughter. When she gets a scrape, I put some neosporin and a band-aid on it, and hold her until the crying stops. Like my mom did for me. When I was upset, I knew I could always go to mom for some comfort, and I want to be that for my little girl when she gets older. It is important to have a loved one you can turn to in times of distress.
My mom is simply amazing. She raised six kids- age 1 through 10- for most of the year by herself- and we all turned out great, no drug or addiction problems. Most of all, and most important of all, we turned out to be good people. We are there for each other. Not that we are all in close proximity, but only a phone call away. And let me tell you, some of us got the same cell phone service to cut down on the minutes!
Sometimes when parenting gets a little challenging, I can't help but think of how my mom handled all of us with all of our needs.
The answer is love! The answer is always love when raising kids.
So, mom, thank you so much for raising us all with love, even during the most trying times! I LOVE YOU!
And to all the moms out there, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!
And p.s.- you were right about the perm- it didn't look that great on me after all!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to Mom, Patrick! We are blessed to have her as our Mother.

    ReplyDelete