Monday, July 12, 2010

Welcome to the jungle!!



Sometimes I wonder what people would think if they came to my home. Would they think, "Jesus, some crasy a-- person lives here!" Or, "oh, this guy loves animals" or "all the artwork on the walls are originals". I think it would totally depend on when I would get visitors! You see, I do love animals and art, and as we all know, I L-O-V-E LOVE my daughter! So, if someone would to come mid week, and the pets are inside, this is what would happen: DING DONG, WOOF WOOF WOOOF WOOOOOF WOOOOOOF! ASPEN, BE QUIET! GRAB THE CAT, MAKE SURE SHE DOESN"T GET OUT! Oh, hi!" Followed by "Oh, it isn't always this crazy (yeah, right, I would be thinking to myself)" Don't mind the hairballs, let me wipe off a part of the sofa for you to sit down on, and do you want something to drink? Papa, Aspen just kissed me with his tongue! No, Aspen, NO! It's alright, Olivia, you won't get germs from his kiss. He is just saying he loves you! But I don't want him to kiss me! His breathe is stinky! Then I would get you a drink, and wish I had one, like a glass of wine!
So, lets say someone visits me on, lets say, Tuesday of the following week, and I knew you were coming over. "DING DONG. (insert quitude here, cuz the dogs are out in the back yard getting into trouble, no doubt!). I answer the door, probably holding Olivia's cat, "HI!" You'll notice that I cleaned, smells good, man, Patrick really has it together. "Come on in!"
I have to say, I was raised in a household of 6 kids, and loved every moment of it! We had all kinds of pets of one kind or another (thanks, mom, for not "accidently" letting any go!), from snakes to rabbits and cats and dogs and birds. I had to wait for my mom to be at work before I would let my parakeet, Toby, out for some "exersize", because my mom had/has a fear, no, a phobia, of flying birds. She also doesn't like little animals with beady eyes... ANYWAY, what I am trying to say by taking the scenic route, is that I wouldn't have it any other way! I love the so many things going on at once, it is something I have grown up with. When Olivia is gone, it gets quiet... sooo quiet that I check and make sure she isn't playing in her room... it is almost like phantom limb syndrome, but with a child. Phantom Child Syndrome? Does that even exist?
So, this week I will clean, get ready for our road trip out East (something we did as children, and something Olivia is going to do for the first time), and rejoice in all things crazy and quiet, for this is my life.

3 comments:

  1. Patrick, reading your blog makes my day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Growing up I always thought you would be the next Dr. Dolittle. You know, I like entering a house that is "alive"...and yours is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAAA!!! Perfect discription of your everyday...love it

    ReplyDelete